Posted by: Jamie Kutchman | Founder
It’s been 2015 for exactly one week now which means I’m officially behind in setting my New Years Resolutions. Sure, I’ve thought about them. I’ve even made some casual promises to myself. But why lie? I’ve made so-called New Years Resolutions in the past and most of the time, they don’t even survive long enough to see February.
This is why it’s time to go public! Rather than making resolutions where it’s not a huge deal if you break them, I’m instead setting measurable goals. People say it’s easier to stick to them when you put them in writing and announce them to the world.
But first, here’s looking back on 2014…
- Got frustrated with my personal trainer and quit gym routine
- Started research for M&G while working full time
- Resigned from my job (spontaneously on a conference call!) to pursue M&G full time
- Too much time working in front of the computer while wearing yoga pants and no gym breaks = weight gain
- Quit diet coke (cold turkey)
- First M&G customer!!!!
- Launched e-commerce website and blog
- Reached over 1,000 Instagram followers
- Adopted rescue pup (Lewis)
Whoa. Crazy amounts of change, right? Mostly all for the good but there are, however, several things I’d like to improve upon. Goals for 2015…
- I can’t diet to perfection. And I even if I could, I know I wouldn’t. I like sweets too much. But what I CAN do is make a commitment to myself to increase activity. Even when design work beckons. Even when I’m behind on blogging and have several more social media posts to do and not a clue where the photos will come from. And yes, EVEN when I’m just flat-out exhausted. I feel great on the inside about who I am and want the outside to match the inside. I won’t let work take a toll on my health anymore. I’m hereby committing to 3-4 times a week. And this isn’t a brisk stroll around the neighborhood with my puppy. This is a gross-I’m-sweating-through-my-shirt-and-can-barely-talk kind of workout. Oh and by the way, this starts today.
- Not sure about you but there are certain Instagram feeds that leave me feeling like a total loser. I start thinking I should pack it in and call it quits because I’ll never be as good as so-and-so. Or, I just don’t have the same natural gift as what’s-her-name. Or, I don’t know as many people. On and on and on. My commitment is to reach out and contact such individuals to partner with them. Even when I’m intimidated. Even when I feel like I’ll never measure up or, worse, they may laugh at me. (Seriously…how high school does this sound?) In 2015, I will reach out anyway. Not just every now and then but as a general practice.
- New head shots. Ugh. Just ugh.
- I’m smitten with my new business. It’s pretty much all I think about. I often can’t sleep at night because I’m lying awake dreaming big! I have the tendency to hyper-focus to the detriment of other areas in my life. I let this happen in my previous career and I will not let it happen again. I will have two social media-free days a month where I focus solely on my husband, family and friends. (I feel squeamish committing to this which is proof that I need to do it!)
These goals are mostly about finding balance. Balance that will make be better personally and professionally at Marigold & Grey. I can honestly say I’ve never been so excited for a new year and seeing what lies ahead! Happy 2015 friends! Feel free to hold me accountable!
Photo credit: Kristyn Hogan Photography